If you are a victim of aqueous film-forming foam (AFFF) exposure, the specific manufacturer of the AFFF you were exposed to is typically liable for your injuries. If AFFF exposure happens while serving the government as a firefighter or member of the military, the AFFF manufacturer will still be liable for your injuries, not the military or the government.
How to Determine Liability in an AFFF Exposure Case
Even though it is possible to determine AFFF exposure liability alone and pursue a personal injury claim, you may want to enlist the help of a lawyer. A personal injury lawyer with experience understands different aspects of an AFFF exposure case and will guide you on the best way to get maximum compensation for your injuries.
Who Is At Risk of AFFF Exposure?
- Firefighters are at immediate risk of AFFF exposure since AFFF is found in coolants used to stop flammable fluid, like jet fuel.
- Military personnel use products with AFFF or people living near or within AFFF production and storage areas.
- Secondhand exposure to AFFF-laced products is also a risk. When firefighters use these products to combat fires, people in the surrounding area can inhale these toxic fumes or absorb them via the skin.
- Surrounding communities are at risk when a large number of AFFF products are mishandled. This can contaminate the food, soil, and water of an entire area and pose serious health consequences.
What Should I Do After AFFF Exposure?
After AFFF exposure, it is critical to take quick action to mitigate the long-term health risks. If you suspect AFFF exposure through ingestion, inhalation, or skin absorption, take the following precautions:
- Take any possible action to contain the AFFF spread.
- Quickly but carefully remove all clothing or personal protective gear.
- Use wet wipes to clean your face, hands, and neck.
- Take a full-body shower as soon as possible.
- Clean any contaminated clothing or personal protective equipment thoroughly.
- Seek immediate medical attention.
It is vital not to wait to experience adverse effects from exposure before seeking medical attention. You may not have the expertise to tell the exact level of exposure or to treat any symptoms that may surface.
Significant Effects of AFFF Exposure
AFFF exposure can cause various side effects, including several cancers and other serious diseases. Some of the common ailments resulting from AFFF exposure include:
- Bladder or liver cancer
- Kidney disease
- Liver disease
- Immune and digestive system problems
- Fertility issues
- Child development problems
- Low infant birth weight
- Thyroid disease
Many of the diseases listed above are life-threatening and require specialized treatment and extensive medical care. Additionally, working regularly is almost impossible, especially for people diagnosed with advanced cancer after AFFF exposure.
If you suspect any AFFF exposure, take the matter with the seriousness it deserves and seek medical attention immediately. After, contact a personal injury lawyer for guidance on the best possible options to seek compensation for damages and injuries.
How Can a Personal Injury Lawyer Help in an AFFF Exposure Case?
There are numerous benefits to working with a personal injury lawyer in an AFFF exposure case, but the most outstanding is their influence on the final compensation offer. Remember that a personal injury lawyer has experience dealing with similar cases and understands the unique legal aspects of your case.
Other advantages of working with a personal injury lawyer for your AFFF exposure case include:
Helping You Gather Case Evidence
To file an injury claim after AFFF exposure, you must prove that the liable party is directly responsible for your injuries. Even though this may seem like a straightforward process, gathering all the necessary information for your case may not be easy. A lawyer knows which data to look for and how to present your circumstances best.
Taking the Lead in Negotiations
Having a personal injury lawyer handle all your negotiations with the liable company is a smart decision you can make for your case. Insurance companies want to pay the least possible compensation. With a lawyer present, the designated representatives are less likely to exploit you or attempt to make low settlement offers.
Even though you can represent yourself in a personal injury case, you might not have much experience negotiating with insurance companies. If you accept a low offer, it may not be enough to cover the cost of future medical expenses resulting from the exposure.
Representing You in Court
Sometimes, cases as complicated as AFFF exposure may end up in court. Having a personal injury lawyer on your side can help you present the proper evidence and lay the groundwork for a solid injury argument that could lead to a fair compensation offer.
Don't Go Through This Alone—Call Us to Discuss Your AFFF Exposure Case
Instead of struggling with the health and financial consequences of AFFF exposure alone, talk with a Dolman Law Group to learn how our personal injury lawyer can help you with your case. Contact us for a consultation and get started today.