The people most commonly affected are professional and volunteer firefighters or firefighters in military and airport departments. Residents living near the following areas are also at risk:
- Military installations
- Shipping areas
- Gas and oil industries
At the top of the list of the highest-risk people are firefighters, construction workers, airport employees, and people who work for the military.
How AFFF Puts Communities at Risk
Since the 1970s, the Department of Defense has used AFFF in military facilities. They have caused severe ground contamination in some of these areas, including water supplies. This means that residents who live near any of those places might be drinking water that contains AFFF and will then be at risk of illness. People who were regularly exposed have developed cancer and other health issues.
Not everyone exposed to AFFF suffers ill-health. Such health issues depends on several factors:
- How long has AFFF affected the victim?
- How often did they receive AFFF exposure?
- How much was AFFF exposed to their lungs?
5 Facts to Know About AFFF Foam
- AFFF stands for Aqueous Film Forming Foam, which contains a fire suppressant.
- The foam effectively puts out liquid fires, such as fuel explosions.
- Its function is to cool the fuel and smother it. When there is a fire in buildings, ships, or houses, firefighters use AFFF.
- Individuals also use chemicals in firefighting trucks and fire training facilities.
- Russians invented the prototype in 1902 and found it much more effective in fighting oil-based fires than water.
While this firefighting foam can help alleviate fire damage, it has significantly high risks.
What Is So Dangerous About Aqueous Film Forming Foam?
Two different compounds are in some AFFF products. Any AFFF that contains PFOA or PFOS is incredibly toxic. PFOA and PFOS are ingredients in synthetic chemical compounds. Exposure to these substances can bring health problems such as thyroid disease and various cancers.
Researchers at the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), as well as the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs (VA), have linked chemicals on AFFF to several health problems, such as the following:
- Changes in the development of fetuses and children
- Changes in the immunity system
- Problems with cholesterol
- Fertility problems
- Increased rate of some cancers such as testicular and kidney
- Damage to the liver
- Hypertension and preeclampsia during pregnancies
- Thyroid disease
- Ulcerative colitis
AFFF can also cause several forms of cancer, including the following:
- Breast cancer
- Prostate cancer
- Bladder cancer
- Kidney cancer
- Testicular cancer
- Colorectal cancer
- Pancreatic cancer
- Neuroendocrine and other tumors
If you suffer from an illness directly attributed to AFFF, you should consider contacting our law firm to receive compensation. Not only will we help you get justice against AFFF manufacturers, but we will help you receive needed reimbursements for your pain and suffering.
For a free legal consultation, call 833-552-7274
We Stand Up for Firefighters and Other Victims
Many are filing lawsuits against manufacturers, sellers of AFFF, and employers who use AFFF because they have suffered cancer or other health problems. According to the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC), the foam firefighters use is officially linked to multiple types of cancers.
Firefighters are the worst affected compared to the standard population.
- Studies show that firefighters can have up to three times more PFAS in their bodies than other people.
- When the body absorbs those “forever chemicals,” the chemicals accumulate.
- They do not break down, do not go away, and often cause cancers and other illnesses.
Manufacturers should know that the per-and-poly-fluoroalkyl substances, or PFAS, in AFFF are toxic carcinogens that remain in the body and cause physical damage. However, they have failed to warn the public that contact with AFFF is hazardous; victims ought to receive justice for their negligence.
How Our Law Firm Can Help You File an AFFF Lawsuit
Companies that make AFFF have known about the dangers of PFAS for 20 years. Even though they are now looking at alternatives, companies still use AFFF. If you fit any of the categories listed for those at high risk, consult your doctor. Then, call our law firm:
- We will investigate liability and negligence for your AFFF exposure.
- We will interview witnesses and experts about AFFF effects.
- Our team can review medical records and assess long-term effects.
- Finally, your lawyer can calculate estimated compensation based on your damages.
- We work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning that we do not charge you unless we win your case.
- If we do not win or settle, you do not owe us anything.
Contact Our Office to Get Your AFFF Claim Started Today
Our firefighting foam cancer lawyers at Dolman Law Group have considerable experience representing those at high risk of exposure to AFFF. We are ready to help you receive the justice you deserve. Contact our law firm to receive a free consultation today.