Personal injury claims are often long and complicated, and insurance companies employ an army of adjusters and lawyers to protect their interests from prospective plaintiffs. Suppose you are involved in an accident caused by another person’s negligence. In that case, that person’s insurance company will assign an adjuster and very likely a lawyer to handle your claim and defend the case.
As an individual, you must deal with two professionals trained to make your claim go away for as little money as possible—contacting an experienced personal injury attorney levels that playing field. The lawyers at the Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, will represent you with the utmost tenacity; we will do everything necessary to ensure that your rights are protected and that you aren’t left holding the bag after an accident you weren’t responsible for.
Is Talking to an Attorney Necessary After a Car Accident?
If you were injured in a car accident, you might want to speak to an attorney. They will ask you if you’ve talked to anyone else who was at fault. This is important because if you don’t tell them what happened, they won’t know whether or not you should pay for any damages. They will also ask you if you’ve filed a claim with your insurance company. If you haven’t, they will file one for you. You can then decide to accept or reject the settlement offer. It’s best to consult with an attorney before accepting or rejecting the offer, so you have all the information you need to make an informed decision.
The next step is to gather all the documents related to the accident. These include police reports, medical records, witness statements, photos, etc. Make sure you get copies of these items and keep them safe. If you have lost any of this documentation, contact your attorney immediately.
The last step is to meet with your attorney. They will review the facts of your case, explain how much compensation you could be entitled to, and discuss your options. Your attorney will also help you understand the process and answer any questions.
How a Personal Injury Attorney Can Help You with Your Case
If you’ve suffered severe injuries due to someone else’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation for medical bills, lost wages, pain, suffering, etc. A personal injury lawyer will be able to advise you on whether you have a case against the person responsible for your accident and, if so, what kind of settlement you can expect to receive.
A personal injury lawyer will also be able to assist you throughout the legal proceedings. For example, they will:
- Advise you about filing a lawsuit
- Negotiate settlements on your behalf
- File motions and other paperwork on your behalf
- Provide expert testimony when needed
- Handle the negotiation and execution of contracts
- Draft pleadings and other court papers
- Assist you with depositions and other discovery requests
- Represent you during trial
- Prepare closing arguments and present evidence during the trial
As you can see from the above, it is imperative you speak with a lawyer when you are injured by another party’s negligence. An experienced personal injury attorney will be able to provide you with the legal representation advice and guidance you need to recover fully from your accident.
20 Things to consider when deciding if you need a lawyer
If you’ve ever had legal issues, you know that lawyers are not cheap. But they’re worth every penny. A lawyer will be able to guide you through the process of making decisions regarding your case, including what happens next. They may also be able to negotiate better terms for you. In addition to their expertise, a good lawyer has many other benefits. Here are 20 things to think about when considering hiring a lawyer:
- Experience – The more experience a lawyer has handling cases like yours, the better prepared he or she will be to handle your case.
- Reputation – Ask around about the reputation of the lawyer you plan to hire. Does everyone recommend him or her? Do people say they are honest and trustworthy? How long has the firm been practicing law?
- Availability – Will the law firm be available to take your call at a time convenient to you? Will the lawyer return your calls promptly? Are there times when the lawyer will not be available? What does the lawyer charge?
- Fees – Ask the lawyer if his or her fees are negotiable. Some lawyers offer flat-fee services, while others charge hourly rates. Find out exactly how much the lawyer charges before agreeing to pay anything.
- Payment Plan – Some attorneys accept payment plans. This means you don’t have to pay upfront. Instead, you make payments as your situation allows. However, keep in mind that this option only works if you’re sure you want to hire a lawyer. If you change your mind later, you could lose money.
- Communication Skills – Lawyers are trained to communicate well with clients. You should feel comfortable speaking with them. Can you get a hold of them easily? Do they answer questions quickly? How many messages per week should you expect? You should expect a great attorney-client relationship.
- Punctuality – It’s important to find a lawyer who shows up punctually. He or she should be ready to meet with you within 30 minutes of receiving your request.
- Convenience – When choosing a lawyer, look for one who is close to where you live. Don’t settle for a lawyer who lives far away.
- Location – Look for a lawyer who practices near you. If you choose a lawyer based solely on location, you might end up having to travel a lot to visit your lawyer.
- Cost – Make sure you understand all costs associated with your case. For example, do you need to pay for court transcripts? Are there any filing fees involved?
- Time Frame – Consider the length of time it takes to resolve your case. Most cases take several months to complete.
- References – Check references from previous clients. Ask friends and family members if they would recommend the lawyer.
- Recommendations – Talk to current clients about their experiences working with the lawyer.
- Specialties – Choose a lawyer whose practice area matches your needs.
- Service – Ask about the lawyer’s service record. Has the lawyer handled similar types of cases before? Have there been complaints filed against the lawyer?
- State Bar Association – Verify whether the lawyer belongs to the state bar association.
- Insurance Coverage – Be sure the lawyer provides insurance coverage for your case.
- Ethics – A good lawyer should always act ethically. Your lawyer should never lie to you or misrepresent facts.
- Trustworthiness – Look for a lawyer you can trust. If you can’t trust him or her, then why should anyone else?
- Experience – The more experience a lawyer has, the better.
Contact us for a free consultation to see how the Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, can help you today. Our injury lawyers at Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, have collected millions for our clients.
For a free case evaluation, call us today at (833)-55-Crash or fill out our contact form online.