As a victim of Aqueous Film Forming Foam (AFFF) exposure, you may be eligible for compensation for any economic losses resulting from injuries you sustained from exposure to the product.
There are several lawsuits across the country that allege the manufacturers of AFF knew of the dangers of their product but did nothing to discontinue its use despite the health and environmental hazards.
You May Be Eligible for Compensation
If you or a loved one has suffered an illness or health condition due to exposure to AFFF, you may be able to claim damages. This may be similar to a personal injury claim, but can contain unique factors that will vary from case to case. The type of damages you can pursue will depend on your accident’s unique circumstances, factors such as:
- The level of exposure and the extent of your injuries
- The long-term effects of your injuries
- Whether the exposure resulted in permanent disability and consequent loss of future earning capability
- How your injuries have affected your life, and the extent of your pain and suffering
What Is AFFF and What Should I Do If I’ve Been Exposed to It?
Aqueous Film Forming Foam (AFFF) is a carcinogenic chemical used mainly by firefighters and military personnel to fight petroleum-based fires. Because of the carcinogens present in AFFF, a certain level of exposure to the chemical can cause serious health issues, including cancer.
Even though firefighters and military personnel are at a higher risk of AFFF exposure due to the nature of their work, AFFF exposure is also possible if you consume contaminated drinking water. AFFF contaminated groundwater has been discovered throughout the United States on and near military bases, as well as the surrounding neighborhoods due to the military’s use and storage of this chemical for decades.
After an AFFF exposure diagnosis, you can seek the guidance of a personal injury lawyer. Your lawyer can begin reviewing your case as soon as possible, and file your claim. This particular chemical exposure can have serious side effects, and your health could deteriorate quickly, so you should act immediately.
Am I Eligible for Compensation?
You may be eligible for compensation for your economic and non-economic damages due to prolonged exposure to AFFF:
These damages include reimbursement for any monetary expenses incurred due to injuries resulting from the exposure. AFFF exposure can lead to various types of cancers and other diseases like thyroid, cardiovascular, lupus, and kidney disease. Most of these diseases require extensive medical care and specialized treatment, the costs of which you may be qualified for compensation.
These damages cover the cost of non-monetary losses caused by injuries resulting from the exposure. Factors considered by a personal injury lawyer when calculating non-economic damages include pain and suffering, mental anguish, and loss of consortium. Loss of consortium seeks to account for the cost of the victim’s diminished capability to offer companionship, affection, support, and sexual satisfaction after diagnosis of an illness due to AFFF exposure.
For a free legal consultation, call 833-552-7274
What Steps Should I Take to File an AFFF Exposure Claim?
After sustaining injuries due to AFF exposure, know the best legal course of action to protect your right to compensation. Below is a list of steps you can take to file a personal injury claim after exposure to AFFF:
- Seek Medical Attention –In any accident, including AFFF exposure, you should prioritize your health above all else. In medical cases as profound as AFFF exposure, early treatment can prove life-saving by preventing long-term effects and treating any diseases in their early stages.
- Collect Paperwork – Medical documents are vital to filing a personal injury claim and seeking compensation, as they link medical expenses to your injuries.
- Gather Evidence – filing any personal injury claim requires proof of liability and other documentation indicating that the liable party is mainly responsible for your injuries. As a victim of AFFF exposure, document all injuries, damages, medical expenses, and treatment costs.
- Record Your Experience –note anything you can remember about how and when the exposure happened. Include information on loss of income or effects of the exposure on your regular everyday activities.
- Consult a Personal Injury Lawyer –even though it is possible to represent yourself in personal injury claims, it’s a lawyer can help to navigate the complexities of an AFFF exposure claim.
We’re Ready to Help You File
If you are a victim of AFFF exposure and wish to pursue a personal injury claim, contact the Dolman Law Group today so we can review the details of your case and file your claim immediately.