Hiring a motorcycle accident in Los Angeles is not mandatory after being involved in a motorcycle accident. However, there are several benefits that legal representation can bring to your case.
You’re likely to face challenges pursuing an injury claim. The insurance company may try to persuade you to accept lower compensation that doesn’t fully cover your damages. A lawyer can help you deal with various aspects of your case as you recover, including compiling evidence, building a strong injury case, proving liability, and negotiating a fair settlement on your behalf.
Do I Need a Lawyer for a Motorcycle Accident in Los Angeles?
Pursuing and winning an injury claim isn’t easy, but with the guidance of a motorcycle accident lawyer, you can better understand the process. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reveals that approximately 5,000 motorcyclists die every year in road accidents. In addition, tens of thousands sustain injuries every year. If the negligence of another motorist caused the accident, you could file a claim against the responsible driver. Moreover, an attorney can offer legal support in various ways, including:
Investigate and Collect Evidence
Investigating the site where the motorcycle accident happened helps determine who’s at fault. Your lawyer can help investigate the site to protect you from being wrongfully accused of being at fault.
Evidence plays a crucial part in determining the outcome of your case. Therefore, you will also want to collect police reports, medical reports, photos, videos, and even consult an accident reconstruction expert to help build a strong case.
Determine What Compensation You Can Claim
An essential part of your injury claim is identifying and detailing all the damages you’re entitled to receive and calculating their value. Damages can include:
- Medical expenses
- Lost earnings
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Wrongful death of a loved one
When calculating the value of your damages, you should consider past and anticipated future medical costs if you suffer from a lifelong medical condition. You should also consider past and estimated future lost earnings if the accident caused disability, reducing your earning capacity. Estimating these numbers can be challenging, but you can consult an attorney to help you determine a fair value.
Assist With a Wrongful Death Case
If your loved one died due to a motorcycle accident, your lawyer can help you pursue a wrongful death claim. Damages in such a claim include:
- Funeral expenses
- Medical expenses before the victim’s demise
- Burial costs
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium or companionship
How Can a Lawyer Assist During the Claim Process?
Filing an injury claim or dealing with the insurance company after an accident can be stressful and complicated. A motorcycle accident lawyer can help with every step of the claim process by:
- Observing the statute of limitations when filing your claim
- Filing your insurance claim with the other motorist’s insurance provider
- Negotiating and handling communications with the insurance company
- Estimating a fair value of your damages
- Representing you in court if needed
What Should I Do After a Motorcycle Accident?
It’s crucial to protect yourself after an accident, even if you’re still unsure whether to hire a lawyer. After a motorcycle accident, you can take the following steps to safeguard your health and the outcome of your case:
- Seek Medical Attention: Victims should seek medical care immediately after a motorcycle accident. A medical examination will provide information on the nature of your injuries and insight into who might be at fault.
- Avoid Signing Anything Immediately: Avoid signing any documents from the insurance company without carefully reviewing them. You might sign off your right to receive adequate compensation.
- Don’t Issue Statements to Your Insurer: You’re allowed to refrain from giving written or recorded statements to the insurer without consulting with a lawyer. You might share compromising information that the insurer might use to deny your claim or issue minimum compensation.
- File a Report: Failing to inform the authorities about your motorcycle accident can hurt your chances of being compensated. An accident report from the police is presented as evidence for your case.
- Contact a Lawyer: Hiring a lawyer after a motorcycle accident is optional, but it’s a wise decision if you don’t know how to move forward. An attorney can help you understand the laws and protect your rights.
For a free legal consultation, call 833-552-7274
Contact the Dolman Law Group for Legal Help
At the Dolman Law Group, we’ll provide legal advice and assist with collecting evidence to ensure you get fair compensation. Contact us today for more information on how we can assist after your motorcycle accident.