Did you suffer a brain injury in a car accident on Ronald Reagan Turnpike? Or perhaps you were hit by a car in the parking lot of Sam's Club on Nw 84th Avenue. No matter where and how your injuries occurred, you need to have a legal advocate on your side during this challenging time. The brain injury attorneys from Dolman Law Group are here for you.
Brain injuries are some of the most life-altering injuries a person can suffer in an accident. Victims often find that they lack many of the abilities they had beforehand. Even relatively “mild” brain injuries like concussions can seriously disrupt your daily life and require months before you feel better. If you have suffered a brain injury and someone else was at fault, you can hold the person responsible legally liable. However, you will need an aggressive Doral brain injury lawyer in your corner from the start.
At Dolman Law Group, we are ready to help you after suffering a serious brain injury in a Doral accident. We provide complimentary case reviews to accident victims and their families from our Doral office.
Why Choose Our Doral Brain Injury Lawyers?
Our Doral brain injury attorneys can help you obtain pain and suffering and medical bill compensation if your brain injury causes you memory, speech, or motor problems. We have years of training and experience in settlement negotiations and civil trials to obtain maximum compensation so you can get onto the road to recovery fast.
Some of our recent brain injury case results in Florida include the following:
- $3.85 million settlement for truck accident brain injury
- $3.2 million settlement for truck accident brain injury
- $1.4 million settlement for serious injuries
- $1 million settlement for motorcycle brain injury
- $750,000 settlement for rear-end car accident brain injury
- $500,000 settlement for car accident brain injury
While past success is never a guarantee of future results, you can rest easier knowing you have experienced Doral brain injury attorneys on your side every step of the way. We protect our clients' rights, represent their interests, and seek justice and appropriate compensation based on the details of their accident case.
Dolman Law Group has many convenient locations throughout Florida, and you can find our Doral office at 8400 NW 36th St. Suite 450.
The Doral office is located off NW 36th Street, just two blocks away from Hyatt Place Miami Airport-West/Doral, and four blocks from Holiday Inn Miami-Doral. Our brain injury attorneys offer a free consultation and review, and we can meet you anywhere in our service area, even virtually.
Causes of Brain Injuries in Doral
It is estimated that more than 200,000 people in Florida live with a brain injury-related disability, and this number could rise to 260,000 in the coming years. In 2005, 93,000 brain injuries happened in Florida, leading to 3,900 fatalities and 17,500 hospitalizations.
The brain is well protected inside the skull. Nevertheless, it is vulnerable to injury in certain situations. People can suffer injuries in the following ways:
- Trauma. Any trauma of sufficient force to the head or body can cause the brain to shift inside the skull and impact its interior surface. Car accidents, slip and falls, and sporting accidents can all cause sufficient trauma to disrupt the brain's functioning.
- Penetration. When an object penetrates the skull, it can directly damage brain tissue. A common example is a gunshot wound to the head.
- Oxygen deprivation. The brain needs oxygen to work properly, and when it is deprived of oxygen brain cells begin to die. This condition can occur any time a person stops breathing, such as during a drowning incident.
As you can see, many brain injuries could occur in accidents or incidents caused by another party's negligence. In these circumstances, Florida law will generally allow the victims to build a claim and seek compensation to help them cover their medical bills, ongoing care costs, lost income, and more. Proving these damages is the basis of a personal injury lawsuit.
Consequences of Brain Injuries
The brain is central to the body's nervous system, controlling our bodily movements as well as thoughts and emotions. Unsurprisingly, brain injuries can severely disrupt your normal bodily and mental functioning, so much so that some victims require around-the-clock supervision or care. Consider the following consequences:
- Problems with communication. A person might be unable to talk or to understand language after a brain injury.
- Impaired memory. A person with a brain injury often suffers a loss of short-term or “working” memory.
- Visual problems. A brain injury can compromise your ability to recognize certain shapes or objects, including human faces.
- Reduced motivation. Brain injuries can induce a feeling of lethargy.
- Compromised ability to reason. You might not be able to understand rules or think logically after brain trauma.
- Behavioral changes. People with brain injuries sometimes exhibit reduced impulse control and other changes in their personalities. Victims can suffer from mood swings, depression, anxiety, and anger. Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is also fairly common.
- Impaired mobility. Victims might lose the ability to move parts of their body or suffer an overall loss of coordination or balance. Limbs can become stiff or spastic.
- Sensory deprivation. After a brain injury, you might notice changes in your ability to hear, see, touch, or taste.
Each brain injury affects patients differently, so you might experience only some or all of those symptoms. With a mild brain injury, your problems might only be temporary. However, the severity depends on the circumstances, including your age and overall health, as well as the part of the brain affected.
Brain Injury Treatments in Doral
A brain injury is a serious, emergent medical condition. If paramedics who respond to an accident scene suspect a traumatic brain injury or other brain involvement, they will likely recommend ambulance transport to the nearest hospital. In some cases, an airlift may be necessary. The sooner a doctor can assess and diagnose this type of injury, the better.
Depending on the brain injury, some people need surgery to remove blood clots or ease pressure on the brain. This measure can prevent the injuries from getting worse due to swelling, bleeding, and other complications. People with moderate to severe brain injuries frequently are admitted to the emergency room so that they can receive treatment to stabilize their condition including:
- Being hooked up to a ventilator to assist breathing
- Receiving an IV for fluids and medication
- Monitoring heart function with an EKG machine
- Monitoring brain function with an EEG machine
- Assessing their memory, level of consciousness, and other important markers
- Monitoring intracranial pressure to prevent further injury
Victims of severe brain injuries may also need surgery to relieve pressure or stop bleeding inside the skull. Once a patient is stabilized and discharged from the emergency room, they may move to the intensive care unit or a trauma ward. A brain injury victim is often moved to Step-Down Treatment, which provides intermediary care before release from the hospital entirely.
However, most treatment will consist of rehabilitation as you try to train your mind and body to relearn tasks you once found simple. It may be inpatient or outpatient rehabilitation, depending on the severity of the injury and the abilities lost. After a brain injury, you might need to schedule the following rehabilitation:
- Speech and language therapy to recover your ability to communicate
- Occupational therapy to help you relearn daily living tasks like dressing yourself and brushing your teeth
- Physical therapy to improve your mobility and balance
- Psychiatric care to help you manage the emotional and mental effects of a traumatic brain injury
Therapy might last for a limited amount of time or may be long-term. Some patients with brain injuries make a full recovery, while others will need help for the rest of their lives. Our team will work with medical experts to determine the level of care you need and the cost of this ongoing care for as long as it may be necessary.
Many of our brain injury legal clients need specialized treatment for their injuries. Some of the best places to receive brain injury treatment in Doral are the University of Miami Health System, Miami Neuroscience Institute, the Christien E. Lynn Rehabilitation Center, and the Children's Concussion Clinic at Nicklaus Children's Hospital.
Holding Someone Responsible for Your Brain Injury
Brain injury victims often come to us confused about what to do and worried about the future. In particular, these injuries often cause mounting medical expenses, while the victim is also unable to work. Fortunately, compensation is available if your Dolman Law Group attorney can show that someone is legally responsible for your injury.
In some cases, you might have a legal case against someone because they intentionally hurt you. In other cases, the person responsible did not intend to hurt you. Rather, they were careless, and this carelessness caused your injury. Common examples include:
- A distracted driver crashing into you
- A boat operator not looking where he is going and hitting a wake, causing you to strike your head or fall overboard
- A scuba diving company not checking its equipment, which malfunctions and leads to a near-drowning
- An anesthesiologist not providing adequate oxygen during surgery
- A doctor delivering a baby improperly, which reduces the flow of oxygen to the baby's brain
In these cases—and others like them—you can bring a lawsuit for negligence and, if you win, you can receive compensation. The key will be to show that the defendant did not exercise sufficient care based on the circumstances, which can be a complex analysis requiring expert opinions and testimony. Our attorneys know how to develop a strong case to prove the other party or parties' negligence and liability.
We also have the resources and knowledge of the law necessary to manage these cases, whether that requires negotiating a fair settlement with the at-fault party's insurance company or preparing a lawsuit and representing our client to a judge and jury at trial. We can:
- Investigate what happened and collect evidence
- Speak to your medical team to get an idea of your condition and prognosis
- Prove negligence and liability
- Value the case, including future and ongoing care needs
- Seek economic and non-economic damages
- Negotiate with the insurer
- Manage communication and correspondence with everyone involved
- File a personal injury lawsuit in compliance with state deadlines
- Represent you in a jury trial, if needed
Like most Florida personal injury law firms, we work based on contingency fees. We do not ask our clients to pay a retainer. We charge nothing up front, by the hour, or out of pocket. We only charge attorney's fees once we receive the check from the insurance settlement or jury verdict, and our fees are an agreed-on percentage of that total recovery.
Contact a Doral Brain Injury Lawyer From Dolman Law Group Today
Brain injuries present unique problems for survivors and their family members. Fortunately, help is available. At Dolman Law Group, we pride ourselves on our representation of brain injury clients. We fight for our clients' legal right to recover just compensation for injuries caused by someone else and work hard to ensure our clients are in the best position possible to move forward with their lives.
Contact us today for a free consultation with one of our team members. There is no risk or obligation.
Dolman Law Group
8400 NW 36th St Suite 450
Doral, FL 33166
What Our Clients Have to Say:
“My experience with this law firm has been extremely pleasant. After being involved in an accident where I was injured, I was able to seek treatment from the best doctors in the area. I was lucky to have a team that assisted in scheduling my appointments that worked around both my full time work schedule and my demanding grad school schedule. Even with a move out of state to New York, I was able to remain with this law firm and continue treatment in south Florida while remaining under the care of the doctors that I felt most comfortable with. Even though I suffered injuries and experienced difficulties in that aspect, the team here was able to make sure that I was able to continue work and stay on track with grad school all while I moved to a new state.”
Rating: 5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Read more reviews on Google!