Boating accidents can be terrifying, but they are more common than you may think and involve more than recreational boating mishaps. Injuries can happen on pleasure boats, yachts, cruise ships, fishing boats, riverboats, barges, and offshore oil rigs. Whether you are injured on a boat while working, on vacation, or while trying to enjoy a day on the water, these claims can be surprisingly complicated. If you sustained any type of injury on or in the navigable waters of Florida, please do not hesitate to call our Doral Boating Accident Attorneys to learn about your legal options.
Boat accident cases often involve different laws than other personal injury cases, such as car accident claims. Some boat accidents may involve 2017->Chapter 768″ >Florida state law while others may be governed by maritime and admiralty law. These laws can be on the state, federal, or even the international level, and you should always have a highly experienced maritime lawyer to apply this complicated web of laws to your particular case.
At the law firm of Sibley Dolman, we regularly handle many types of boating accident cases off the coast of Florida and along our state’s many waterways, including harbors, rivers, or other navigable waters. We represent a wide variety of boat accident victims, including:
- Cruise ship passengers
- Ferry passengers
- Guests on yachts or boats
- Renters of jet skis or other watercraft
- Dock workers
- Snorkelers and scuba divers
- Ship crew members
Common Types of Boat Accidents
“Boating accident” can refer to many different types of events on or near the water, many of which result in life-changing injuries or tragic fatalities. Cases we handle involve the following and more:
- Recreational boat accidents – Many people in South Florida choose to spend the day on the water – especially tourists. There are many places to rent a boat, which, unfortunately, results in many inexperienced boaters out on the water. In addition, drinking is popular while boating and all too often, people may operate boats while under the influence of alcohol. Boat operators may also become easily distracted or may not be aware of the rules of the water. All of these factors can contribute to collisions with other boats or objects, hitting large waves in an unsafe manner, injuries to water skiers or people tubing, people getting thrown overboard, and other serious accidents.
- Cruise ship accidents – Taking a cruise can be a relaxing way to travel, as everything is taken care of for you. However, these massive ships can also have a number of hazards that are not properly addressed by the cruise line. Guests may slip and fall, have accidents while embarking or debarking the ship, be involved in swimming pool or spa accidents, get injured while engaging in recreational activities on board the ship, or may even be physically or sexually assaulted due to inadequate security on the ship.
- Scuba or snorkel accidents – Many companies offer excursions so Florida residents or visitors can experience the magic of underwater life. However, dangerous accidents can happen on these excursions, which can result in injury or death. If your guides are not properly trained or fail to properly supervise guests, you may run out of air, get hit by a boat, sustain decompression injuries, and more. You can also be injured if equipment is defective or is improperly maintained.
- Personal watercraft accidents – It is also fun to rent jet skis or similar personal watercraft to ride the ocean waves. Many people are allowed to rent such watercraft without any safety instruction or knowledge of the risks of being out on the water on these small vehicles. Other boats may collide with you, you may run aground, or swimmers may be injured by people who are operating jet skis in an unsafe manner.
- Charter boats, tour boats, or ferries – Taking a charter boat, tour boat, or ferry can be a great way to go further out onto the water without the risks of operating a smaller watercraft. Many accidents can take place on these boats, however, and you can be seriously injured. Some causes of accidents on such boats include slip and falls, improper boat handling or operation, falling overboard, injuries caused by intoxicated passengers, and other acts of negligence on the part of the boat company or crew.
- Injuries on the job – The water provides many opportunities for people to make a living. These jobs also come with the risk of serious injury or drowning. Whether you work as a boat operator, on a cruise ship, as a fisherman, on an oil rig or barge, or any other water-based location, you should know you are at risk of a wide variety of accidents. In some cases, workers’ compensation should cover your injuries and in others, you may need to take legal action under admiralty and maritime laws.
Holding Negligent Parties Liable for Your Losses
The legal team at Sibley Dolman has seen how extensive boating accident-related losses can be. Injured accident victims can incur costly medical bills, lost wages, and may experience significant pain and suffering due to their injuries. In cases of fatal accidents, family members may be left with many financial and emotional losses. You need the right law firm to help you hold any negligent parties fully responsible for all of your relevant damages.
Our attorneys represent boat accident victims and can assist with the investigation of the accident, insurance claims, and lawsuits under Florida state and/or maritime laws. We help in the traumatic aftermath of a boat accident so that you can receive the full amount of compensation you need to cover your losses.
Contact Our Doral, Florida Boating Accident Law Firm for More Information
Boating accidents can happen when you least expect it – whether you are on the job, on vacation, or simply trying to enjoy all that Doral has to offer. If you suffer a serious injury in a boat accident, you need the lawyers of Sibley Dolman on your side as soon as possible. We know how to handle these complex cases, so please call today at 305-930-7688 or contact us online for a free consultation.
8400 NW 36th St Suite 450
Doral, FL 33166
What Our Clients Have to Say:
“My experience with this law firm has been extremely pleasant. After being involved in an accident where I was injured, I was able to seek treatment from the best doctors in the area. I was lucky to have a team that assisted in scheduling my appointments that worked around both my full time work schedule and my demanding grad school schedule. Even with a move out of state to New York, I was able to remain with this law firm and continue treatment in south Florida while remaining under the care of the doctors that I felt most comfortable with. Even though I suffered injuries and experienced difficulties in that aspect, the team here was able to make sure that I was able to continue work and stay on track with grad school all while I moved to a new state.”
Rating: 5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Read more reviews on Google!