Table Of Contents
- The Dolman Law GroupâDavie's Motorcycle Accident Law Firm
- The Most Common Causes of Motorcycle Collisions in Davie
- Common Injuries Due to a Davie Motorcycle Crash
- Local Issues Affecting a Davie Motorcycle Accident
- Financial Damages You Can Pursue After a Davie Motorcycle Collision
- Handling the Insurance Company Following a Davie Motorcycle Accident
- Protect Yourself and Your Rights After a Davie Motorcycle Collision
- Davie Motorcycle Accident Lawyer (part 2, FAQ)
- Contact a Davie Motorcycle Accident Attorney Today
The Dolman Law Group—Davie's Motorcycle Accident Law FirmWhen the pressures begin to mount after an accident and you find yourself searching for an experienced Davie personal injury attorney, just know that not any lawyer will be able to help you go after the financial recovery you deserve and the justice you are entitled to. Fortunately, at the Dolman Law Group, we are known for getting results while making sure we provide our clients with the legal support and assistance they need to get through this devastating time. While no guarantee of future success in all claims, we have secured millions of dollars for our clients through settlement negotiations and jury trial verdicts, including the following results:
- $1.4 million for a motorcycle accident resulting in multiple serious injuries
- $1 million for a motorcycle crash leading to a traumatic brain injury
- $750,000 for a motorcycle accident that resulted in a subdural hematoma and a rotator cuff shoulder injury
The Most Common Causes of Motorcycle Collisions in DavieWhile a motorcycle collision can occur for several different reasons, in general, these devastating accidents tend to result from:
- A Left Turn: When a driver miscalculates how much time they have to make a left turn or fail to yield the right of way, they can run into a motorcycle driving through the intersection.
- Speeding: The faster a vehicle travels, the less chance it will have to react in an emergency, and the greater the impact force will be in a collision.
- A Car Door: When a driver or passenger opens their car door directly into the path of a motorcycle rider, it can lead to a debilitating accident and significant injuries.
- Changing Lanes: Because motorcycles are much smaller than other vehicles, they tend to hide in a motorist's blind spot. Consequently, if these vehicles change lanes without checking these blind spots, they can run into a rider.
- Driving Under the Influence: When motorists drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol, it can lead to a slower reaction time, as well as impaired thinking, reasoning, and muscle coordination, things that can impact the ability to operate a vehicle safely. As a result, when a driver drinks and drives or does drugs, it can lead to a devastating motorcycle crash.
- Defective Parts: When a motorcycle is created improperly, or there are faulty parts, the situation can lead to horrifying accidents, and the manufacturers can be held liable for the crash and injuries.
- Lane Splitting: Although this move, which involves a motorcyclist driving between two lanes, is not legal in Florida, riders still do it, and it can be dangerous for inexperienced motorcyclists.
- A Sudden Stop: When a motor vehicle is following a motorcyclist too closely, and the motorcyclist stops, the car may not have enough time to avoid a collision with them.
Common Injuries Due to a Davie Motorcycle CrashDue to the lack of protective support surrounding a motorcycle, the injuries resulting from these accidents tend to be severe and usually fatal. In fact, due to this vulnerability, motorcyclists are 28 times more likely to pass away in an accident than passengers in a car and four times more likely to be injured. Yet, while the extent and severity of these injuries will often depend on the circumstances of the collision, some of the more common injuries that result from these accidents include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Limb loss
- Spinal cord damage and paralysis
- Neck and back trauma
- Road rash
- Broken bones
- Internal bleeding
- Internal organ damage
- Soft tissue injuries
Local Issues Affecting a Davie Motorcycle AccidentIn addition, to the above common causes of a motorcycle accident, in Davie, two other issues that tend to produce these catastrophic accidents more frequently than others include hazardous road conditions (pavement breaking apart, debris, and potholes) and dangerous roads and intersections. In Davie, these roadways include:
- Davie Road
- A1A and Las Olas Boulevard
- Sunrise Boulevard and Andrews Avenue
- NE 26th Street and Federal Highway
- South University Drive and Southwest 24th Street
Time Limitations in a Davie Motorcycle Accident Legal ClaimAnother issue that victims of a Davie motorcycle accident have to keep in mind is the time limitations involved in bringing a lawsuit after this accident. According to the statute of limitations, which gives victims of a Davie motorcycle accident only four years from the crash date to pursue a lawsuit. If they fail to bring their claim within this time, they can be stopped from going after the compensation they need. In addition, if an exception applies to this rule, this time period can also change. That is why after a Davie motorcycle accident, it is recommended you speak with an experienced Davie motorcycle accident attorney from the Dolman Law Group file your lawsuit in time. These lawyers can help you figure out how much time you have to file your case while also making sure to submit your motions and documents before this time runs out, if necessary.
Financial Damages You Can Pursue After a Davie Motorcycle CollisionIf you suffered severe injuries in a Davie motorcycle accident due to another person's wrongful actions, you may be able to go after certain types of financial recovery for the losses you suffered. In Florida, these damages are often split into the following categories:
Economic DamagesEconomic damages refer to compensation for the easily verifiable losses that result from an accident, including:
- Bills related to doctor visits, hospitalization, surgeries, medications, medical devices, and other types of medical treatments
- Lost wages and reduced earning ability
- Estimated future medical expenses
- Personal property damages and repair costs
- Transportation expenses
- Replacement services
- Other costs resulting from the accident
Non-Economic DamagesNon-economic damages refer to payment for the abstract losses that result from an accident, including:
- Damages due to pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Inconvenience because of injuries
- Physical impairment or disfigurement
- Loss of companionship
Handling the Insurance Company Following a Davie Motorcycle AccidentOne thing that individuals should be careful about following a Davie motorcycle accident is the insurance companies. Even though many may believe that the insurance company will want to help them after an accident, this is not what usually happens. The insurance company, like other businesses, wants to secure a profit. To do this, they must offer less money for a claim or try to deny it altogether. As a result, insurance adjusters will try to do everything they can to get you to say or do something that can impact your case and the amount of money you can obtain. For these reasons, before you talk with the insurance company after your accident, you may want to discuss the incident with a skilled Davie motorcycle accident attorney, like those from the Dolman Law Group. Our attorneys can prepare you on what to expect from these deceitful insurance companies and even take over these conversations on your behalf, ensuring you do not do or say something that can hurt your case.
Protect Yourself and Your Rights After a Davie Motorcycle CollisionAfter a Davie motorcycle, you want to make sure you protect yourself and your rights. To do this, you may want to consider doing the following after a Davie motorcycle collision:
Get a Police ReportAfter a motorcycle collision, you should call 911 right away or have someone call on your behalf. This is not only the best way to alert medical personnel of the crash but also the fastest way to get a police report, which your attorney can use to learn more about the incident.
Get a Medical ReportEven if your injuries do not appear severe, you still want to get to a doctor immediately after the accident to get examined. Not only will the doctor verify whether you have any hidden injuries, but they can also provide you with a medical report detailing the extent of your trauma and provide your attorney with evidence of a direct connection between the motorcycle crash and the harm you suffered.
Obtain Evidence From the SceneIf possible, take photos and videos of the accident scene, including:
- Visible trauma
- The cars, other vehicles involved in the incident, and your bike, and their placement on the road
- The damage to these vehicles
- Skid marks and dangerous road conditions
- Traffic signs near the area
- The weather and traffic conditions at the time of the accident
- Anything else that can help show what happened
Talk to Witnesses and Others at the SceneIf possible, try to get the names and other personal information of the drivers involved in the accident, including driver's license numbers, insurance information, contact details, and information regarding the car, such as make and model. Additionally, if there were individuals who saw what happened, get their names and contact details. These witnesses can often provide testimony that can help collaborate your claim and offer further information regarding the accident that can help your lawyer. Yet, as you talk to these other drivers and people at the scene, make sure you watch the comments you make, meaning you should avoid apologizing or taking any of the blame for the accident. These types of statements can come back to hurt you and impact your ability to secure the money you need.
Meet with a Davie Motorcycle Accident Attorney and Provide them With the Evidence You HaveAfter the accident, you want to schedule a consultation with a lawyer and provide them with the documents, pictures, and videos you have, including the police and medical reports, as well as any bills related to the injuries you suffered and anything else that the attorney can use to prepare a powerful legal case on your behalf.
Davie Motorcycle Accident Lawyer (part 2, FAQ)Although it is best to talk to an experienced motorcycle accident attorney about your specific questions following a motorcycle accident, until you can do this, we know you want some clarification regarding this tragic situation. That is why we have prepared the following FAQs. Below we will go over some of the more common questions our clients often have after a motorcycle crash and provide you with the answers you need to help you figure out what you should do next, the financial remedies you can pursue, and how the Dolman Law Group can help you.
1. Who Can I Hold Liable for My Davie Motorcycle Accident?Due to the bias that many people have against motorcyclists, these riders are often blamed for an accident that involves them. However, in reality, victims often hold numerous parties liable for these crashes, including:
- Another Motorist: When another motorist violates the rules of the road and causes an accident, they can be held accountable for the injuries and losses that result.
- Manufacturers, Designers, and Others: If a motorcycle crash results from a defective motorcycle bike or part, the manufacturer, designer, and others in the distribution channel can be held responsible for the accident and the resulting injuries and damages.
- Government Agencies: If a motorcycle accident resulted from improper road design or poorly maintained streets, the governmental agency responsible for maintaining these roads could be held accountable for the harm and losses that occurred
2. How Much Is Your Davie Motorcycle Accident Claim Worth?Even though an attorney can help you figure out the types of damages, you may be able to pursue after a motorcycle accident. These lawyers cannot tell you exactly how much your motorcycle accident claim will be worth. In truth, too many factors can impact the value of your case and, ultimately, the amount of money you will receive for everything you have gone through. For instance, consider the following elements that can impact your motorcycle accident's claim worth?
- How severe are the injuries that resulted from the accident?
- Did the injuries cause any permanent disabilities?
- What is the extent of the medical procedures that you will now need?
- Will you be able to work following the accident?
- Did you lose wages from not being able to work following the accident?
- What is the extent of the damage to your motorcycle?
- How reliable is the evidence presented?
- Do you need replacement services or additional help following the accident to help you live your everyday life?
3. Do You Automatically Have a Legal Case You Can Pursue if a Davie Motorcycle Accident Injured You?While a motorcycle accident can leave you struggling emotionally, physically, and financially, being injured after this accident does not mean you will automatically have a legal claim you can pursue. Rather, there are several elements that need to first be analyzed to determine whether or not you have a valid legal claim. These elements include:
- The severity of the injuries that resulted from the Davie motorcycle accident
- The types of medical treatments that are required following this accident
- Whether there is insurance money available that you can pursue
- Whether you have time to file a lawsuit if needed
4. How Long Does It Take for a Motorcycle Case To Resolve in Davie?When it comes to a motorcycle accident claim, there are no formulas or regulations that dictate how long these accidents will take to settle. An experienced lawyer can give you an idea of what may happen in your case, but they will not be able to provide you with an exact date by which your case will resolve, primarily due to specific issues that can impact this timing, such as:
Waiting for Maximum Medical ImprovementsMaximum medical improvements happen when your doctor confirms that you have recovered as best as possible and there are no further improvements that can result in your healing process. However, it is important to wait to pursue negotiations until after this stage has been reached because it helps your lawyer figure out the full extent of your damages and the total compensation you will need to ensure you get the medical care you require.
The Type of Trauma InvolvedThe trauma involved can also impact how long it will take your case to resolve. For instance, in most cases, the more severe the injuries, the higher the payout will be. However, when there is a potential higher payout, it will usually result in the insurance company trying to delay paying you the money you need and can even result in the insurer extending the investigation process to increase the amount of time it will take for the case to settle.
The Insurance Company's TacticsIf the insurance company tries to delay the settlement process, your case can take a while to resolve. In some instances, your lawyer may also decide that the best way to handle the matter and get the money you deserve is to take your case to trial and argue your claims in front of a judge or a jury. Consequently, it can take anywhere from weeks to years for your motorcycle accident claim to resolve. However, when you work with a skilled Davie motorcycle accident attorney, these lawyers can work hard to help your case resolve as fast as possible and for as much money as they can secure on your behalf.
5. Do You Have To Go To Court To Get the Money You Need Following a Davie Motorcycle Accident?Most motorcycle wreck claims will generally settle before they get into a courtroom. Individuals and insurance companies often prefer this because the process is faster and less expensive. However, if the other side or the insurer is not willing to settle your case for a fair amount, your lawyer may decide to pursue litigation and take your case to trial, where it can be heard in front of a judge or a jury, and they can fight vigorously for all the money you need.
6. If You Were in a Davie Motorcycle Accident, Can You Recover Damages if You Did Not Wear a Helmet?You should still be able to recover monetary damages following a Davie motorcycle accident, even if you were not wearing a helmet. However, you may experience some resistance when going after this compensation, and the success of your claim will usually depend on proving that the other party was at fault for the crash and your injuries. As a result, in these situations, you may want to discuss the facts of your accident with a knowledgeable motorcycle accident attorney who has experience handling these complex claims. For example, at the Dolman Law Group, our skilled legal team can review what happened, figure out whether you can pursue compensation following the motorcycle accident, and help you determine what needs to be done to secure the maximum financial recovery you are entitled to.
7. What Happens if a Hit-and-Run Driver Caused Your Davie Motorcycle Accident?Dealing with a hit-and-run driver can cause a stressful situation to be that much more unbearable. That is why in these situations, it is important to contact 911 immediately and let them know the other driver fled the scene. These officers will usually investigate the matter to figure out the other driver's identity. If they can be identified, you can pursue legal action against them. However, just note that it may be challenging to get the money you need from them if they do not have insurance. On the other hand, if the at-fault driver cannot be found, obtaining financial recovery will be even more challenging. In some instances, if you have additional insurance coverage on your own policy, such as uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage (UIM), you may file a claim for damages with your own insurance company. However, if you do not have this other policy and the at-fault driver cannot be found, you may be out of options. For these reasons, to determine what you should do in these instances or what legal options you may be able to pursue, it is recommended you speak to an experienced Davie motorcycle accident attorney as soon as possible.
8. How Much Does a Davie Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Cost?As you are struggling with medical bills and other financial hardships following a motorcycle accident in Davie, the last thing you want to deal with is paying for an attorney to take on your case. Fortunately, when you work with a Davie motorcycle accident lawyer from the Dolman Law Group, you will not have to worry about paying us. Our skilled lawyers work on a contingency fee basis, meaning that they will not get paid until they help you win your case and obtain compensation through a settlement or a jury trial verdict. This also means you will not have to pay any fees or expenses upfront in order for your case to get started. Rather, because our attorneys want to ensure you get the legal help you need, we offer a free, no-risk consultation to review your case and determine whether anything can be done.
9. How Can the Dolman Law Group Help You Secure the Compensation You Need Following a Davie Motorcycle Accident?While no amount of money will ever help you fully get over the harm and losses you endured following a Davie motorcycle crash, obtaining just compensation for everything you had to go through can help you start rebuilding your life and get you through this challenging time. More importantly, with a skilled Davie motorcycle accident attorney, like those from the Dolman Law Group fighting on your side, you will not have to take on this legal battle by yourself. Instead, once you hire our motorcycle accident lawyers, we can:
- Answer your questions, let you know your legal options, and figure out the best way to proceed with your legal claim.
- Investigate the collision, obtain relevant evidence to prove fault and damages, and interview witnesses to help prove your case.
- Hire experts to help substantiate your claim, including accident specialists, doctors, financial specialists, and others.
- Take on the settlement negotiations process for you, ensuring your claim is treated with the respect it deserves.
- Fight for the maximum compensation you are entitled to, whether that is through settlement negotiations or taking your case to trial and fighting for the damages you need.