If you are involved in an automobile accident or suffered an injury as a result of a slip and fall, identifying and proving your personal injury damages is critical to recovering the money you need and deserve. It is important to contact an experienced New Port Richey personal injury attorney to make sure that all of your damages are included before filing a claim.
Types of Pasco County Personal Injury Damages
The following types of damages are common in most types of personal injury lawsuits:
- Medical Expenses: Before you file a personal injury lawsuit, you will need to get medical attention to diagnose and treat your injuries. When you file your suit, include all expenses related to your medical treatment including hospital bills, invoices from doctor visits, receipts for medication, and any other expense that you incurred during treatment.
- Rehabilitation therapy: If your injury requires ongoing therapy and rehabilitation, you need to include the costs in your lawsuit. Keep track of visits to rehabilitation clinics, chiropractors, and other medical professionals who provide the physical therapy you need after an accident. If your rehabilitation therapy is ongoing and required after your personal injury lawsuit, make sure you project the future costs of all the rehabilitation treatment you will need to your attorney.
- Lost wages: If you are unable to work because of your injury, include the wages you lost while recovering.
- Pain and suffering: Pain and suffering damages in a personal injury lawsuit place a monetary value on the effect your injury has on your quality of life.
- Punitive damages: Punitive damages are rarely awarded, and only appropriate when the party who caused your injury was either acting intentionally or was extremely negligent. As the name suggests, punitive damages are included only if the opposing party needs to be punished for its behavior that caused your injury.
- Costs of a personal injury lawsuit: As part of your damages calculation, you are allowed to include all costs that you have incurred as a result of filing the lawsuit. Common costs include the fees associated with filing a claim, the fee that you pay your attorney, and the money spent on expert witnesses or gathering important pieces of evidence.
How to Prove Damages in a Pasco County Personal Injury Lawsuit
As you list the damages you intend to pursue in your personal injury lawsuit, you will need offer evidence that you are entitled to the value that you claim. The best way to support your personal injury damages request is to document everything from the time of your injury including your medical treatment, ability to work, physical condition, and how your quality of life has changed. The following documents can help you prove your damage calculation:
- Medical documents – including bills from the hospital and invoices from individual doctors or medical specialists, and all written communications regarding your diagnosis and required treatment.
- Physical therapy bills – all invoices from chiropractors or therapists, including money that you spend on workout equipment that you need to buy to maintain your physical recovery.
- Documentation from work – often in the form of a letter from your boss or your company’s HR department. Make sure your employer details your work attendance after the accident and notes any special accommodations that had to be made.
- Photos or videos – pictures can be important in proving what caused your injury, and can be used to show its effects. If you have documented lasting bruising or scars, it may be valuable as you pursue your injury claim.
Contact a New Port Richey Personal Injury Lawyer
Every year very high numbers of personal injury cases are filed in Pasco County, Florida. Most of these are based on some form of negligence due to accidental or unintentional injuries. Some common types of personal injury cases include:
- Car accident injuries including pedestrian accidents
- Premises liability cases such as those involving dangerous structures
- Slip and fall claims
- Medical malpractice and other malpractice-related claims
- Consumer injuries resulting from defective prod
At the Sibley Dolman Gipe Accident Injury Lawyers, PA, our skilled personal injury lawyers will protect your rights under Florida law to make sure you receive all of the compensation that you deserve. Please call our office at 727-853-6275 today.
Sibley Dolman Gipe Accident Injury Lawyers, PA
5435 Main Street
New Port Richey, FL 34652