Injury can strike out of nowhere. In an instant, you go from perfectly healthy to seriously injured. Your quality of life declines, or even vanishes entirely. Sometimes, an unexpected injury permanently impacts your life. In other cases, you may need a long time to fully recover. When a personal injury occurs because of someone else's negligence or wrongful actions, you may be entitled to compensation to help pay for your medical expenses, pain and suffering, and lost income. If this has happened to you, contact the experienced personal injury attorneys in the Aventura office of Dolman Law Group online or at (954) 302-7068 to find out how we may be able to help you recover the money you deserve. At Dolman Law Group, we have extensive experience in a wide range of personal injury cases. We work with our clients, insurance companies, and other potentially liable parties involved to try and ensure you receive the maximum possible compensation. In many cases, our clients have achieved substantial judgments and settlements, including the maximum allowed amount from the relevant insurance policies. We aim to provide caring, compassionate representation to our clients as they navigate a difficult, complicated period of their lives.
Common Types of Personal Injuries
There are many different types of personal injury cases. While not every case will fit into one of these categories, these common categories are often part of personal injury cases.
- Construction Injuries: These are injuries that occur on or around a construction site. Construction injuries commonly result from falls, equipment malfunctions, and failure to follow safety regulations on a job site.
- Car Accident Injuries: Car accidents can cause significant injuries, such as spinal cord trauma, broken bones, soft tissue injuries, traumatic brain injury, deep lacerations, and death.
- Truck Accidents: Truck accidents may be more severe than car accidents because of a truck's size and the force it imparts in a collision. Common injuries in these accidents include serious lacerations, broken bones, brain injuries, and death.
- Brain Injuries: Brain injuries can occur in a number of ways, from common accidents to medical trauma. Brain injuries are most often delivered through blunt force trauma. These injuries may have long-lasting repercussions that can stay with the impacted individual long-term.
- Birth Injuries: Birth injuries occur when a child is injured during the birthing process, sometimes due to the negligence of the doctors involved. These injuries can result in extended hospital stays and often have lifelong impact on the child's ability to learn and grow.
- Bicycle Accident Injuries: A bicycle accident, especially when it involves a passenger vehicle or truck, can lead to substantial injuries, including broken bones, spinal cord damage, and traumatic brain injury.
- Boating Accident Injuries: Boating accidents can cause significant injuries to their victims, from broken bones to traumatic brain injury.
- Workers' Compensation: Being injured at work often brings with it significant legal complications. When a workers' compensation insurer refuses to pay a claim, the victim's recovery becomes much more difficult.
No matter what type of injury you've suffered, it's important to have compassionate, knowledgeable legal representation on your side.
Responsible Parties in Aventura Personal Injury Cases
Depending on the circumstances of your injury, a wide range of individuals or entities could bear legal responsibility. These may include other drivers in a motor vehicle accident, manufacturers of defective products that fail and cause injuries on a job site, or medical providers who make mistakes that injure patients. Working with an experienced personal injury attorney is the most effective way to establish who may be at fault for your injuries and potentially responsible for paying damages.
What Kinds of Damages Can Be Recovered?
When you've been injured because of someone else's negligent or wrongful conduct, there are several key types of damages that you may be entitled to recover. Of course, the specific damages recoverable in any particular case will vary based on the circumstances, and there is no guarantee damages can be recovered in any case. When damages are recoverable, however, they commonly include:
- Immediate medical expenses
- Reasonably anticipated future medical expenses
- Care expenses resulting from accidents and injuries
- Lost wages
- Compensation for pain and suffering
- Lost earning potential
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Other damages based on the specific injury
A knowledgeable personal injury attorney is the most reputable source of information about what damages a person may be able to recover.
How Do Those Responsible Try to Get Out of Paying?
There are several key strategies that may be used by associated insurance companies and other parties to avoid paying damages to a victim of negligent or wrongful conduct. These include:
- Trying to shift the blame. Parties potentially responsible for causing a personal injury commonly point the finger elsewhere, whether that's at other potentially responsible parties, or even at the victim. By shifting blame (or fault), parties hope to avoid, or at least to minimize damages.
- Offering a low initial settlement offer. Immediately after an accident that causes personal injury, victims may receive a settlement offer from an insurance company. This settlement offer is often significantly lower than the amount victims deserve and might recover in a legal action. Working with a lawyer early in the process can help prevent victims from accepting a settlement offer that won't cover their expenses and provide for their future.
How Much Will an Aventura Personal Injury Lawyer Cost Me?
Following a significant personal injury, victims worry hiring a lawyer will only add to already-high piles of unpaid bills. At Dolman Law Group, we offer a free consultation for victims of a personal injury at which our experienced attorneys discuss the possibility of seeking compensation for the victim. In appropriate cases, we may agree to represent a client on a “contingent fee” basis, in which we only get paid out of a settlement or favorable judgment we achieve. In those arrangements, we have an agreement with our client about who will pay for court costs and other expenses associated with pursuing a case. These arrangements often help our client seek justice without worrying about mounting costs.
Get the Help You Need
If you've suffered a personal injury because of someone else's negligent or wrongful conduct, you may be entitled to significant compensation. Contact the Aventura office online or at (954) 302-7068 to learn more about the legal services we provide and to schedule your free consultation.