What to do Following a Car Accident
Being involved in a car accident is a terrifying thing. It can be disorienting, especially if one has suffered a head injury or lost any amount of blood. However, in the midst of such a traumatic event one must keep their wits about them. In an attempt to remove any small measure of that heavy burden from you, the experienced car wreck attorneys have created a step by step list of what you should do following a car accident.
- The first thing one must do is determine the extent of the damage and injuries. An important part of this process is staying calm. The scene of an accident becomes extremely more dangerous when one panics. Evaluate the damage and injuries in order to figure out if anyone needs immediate medical attention.
- In the case of a minor car accident, it is safest to move the cars involved to the side or shoulder of the road. In cases of major accidents, or where the cars simply cannot be moved, it is best for everyone to remain in the car with their seatbelts hastened.
- Call 911 immediately! The police may or may not have to be called separately depending on where you are. Wait for emergency personnel to arrive. Also, call you insurance provider.
- File an accident report with the police. Talk about the accident with the police only and your insurance provider only! After an accident, it’s just best not to talk- otherwise you could mistakenly claim fault.
- Exchange information with the other parties involved. Make sure to get their name, their phone number, and their insurance provider information. It is important to get more than just a license plate number. Often insurance companies do not list car on the license plates, so the additional information is very important. Be polite and calm, but remember not to discuss the nature or events of the accident with anyone other than your own insurance provider and the police.
- It is essential to seek immediate medical attention following an accident: That does not mean you need to call an ambulance. Rather, it would be wise to follow up with a physician to rule out the possibility of serious injuries. Please tell your physician everything that is wrong with you at your initial appointment. I cannot stress how important it is that the physician lists every single complaint in their notes. This helps to avoid the situation wherein the insurance carrier will state that your medical records are not consistent.
The best way to handle an accident is not to be in one. Drive safely- and do not drink and drive or operate a vehicle while text messaging. However, no amount of safe driving can insure that one won’t be involved in an accident. Make sure everyone is wearing seat belts and make sure that children are properly hastened in an age/weight/ height appropriate child safety seat. Also, make sure your cars are properly maintained. It is better safe than sorry.
However, if you do wind up in an unfortunate car accident, the next thing you should do is call an experienced car wreck attorney at the Dolman Law group. Our dedicated attorneys and staff are here to help you and your loved ones. Please call us today to discuss your legal rights and options. You can contact our injury law attorneys at: 727-451-6900.
The Dolman Law Group is a nationally recognized Clearwater personal injury law firm located in Pinellas County and only a short drive from Tampa and St. Petersburg. Matthew Dolman was named 2013 Florida Superlawyers by Thompson Reuters Publications.