When one vehicle hits another from behind, it is referred to as a rear-end collision. This type of collision often results in injuries to those in the vehicle struck as well as any pedestrians in the area. If you were injured in a rear-end collision due to another driver's negligence, you could be entitled to damages that cover your medical expenses and damage to your property. A Boston rear-end car accident collision injury lawyer may be able to help you determine if you qualify for financial compensation and what damages you deserve.
What to Do Following a Rear-end Collision
Following a rear-end collision, it is important that you take steps to protect yourself, regardless of whether you decide to file suit the driver responsible.
- Call the police: Following a rear-end collision, call the police to report the accident. Request an ambulance if you or anyone else has been injured.
- Document the scene: Take pictures, videos, and notes of the scene. All this information will be useful if you need to file a claim.
- Seek medical attention: Even if you feel okay after a rear-end collision, you should still see a doctor because some injuries take time to show symptoms. Go to the hospital or schedule an appointment with your primary physician to get a check-up.
- Consider hiring a Boston auto accident lawyer: Filing claims with insurance companies can be a stressful process. You already have enough to worry about. Consider hiring a rear-end car accident attorney servicing the Boston area to help you with the process.
Common Types of Rear-end Collision Injuries
The most common injuries resulting from rear-end collisions include spinal cord injuries, whiplash, neck injuries, head trauma, and brain injuries. These injuries can cause severe physical problems such as paralysis, chronic pain, headaches, memory loss, and cognitive impairment.
Rear-end collisions also pose a risk of death. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that over 33,000 people die each year in motor vehicle crashes. Of those deaths, many are due to rear-end collisions.
Common Causes of Rear-End Collisions
There are many causes of rear-end collisions, including:
- Driving too fast
- Distracted driving
- Poor road conditions
- Alcohol or drug use
- Failure to yield
- Improper lane change
- Failure to stop at a red light
- Speeding through intersections
The best way to avoid rear-end collisions is to drive safely. Pay attention to all traffic signals and obey posted speed limits. Stay alert when changing lanes and watch out for pedestrians and bicyclists. Never drink and drive. Always buckle up!
Who Is to Blame in a Rear-end Collision?
In most cases, the driver who hits another vehicle from the back is at fault. If you were reversing or breaking without cause, you may share some of the blame. Exceptions aside, this does not mean that they are always liable for sustained injuries. The law states that the person responsible for causing an accident must take responsibility for their actions.
What Compensation Can I Expect from a Rear-End Collision?
You could collect financial compensation for the following damages:
- Medical expenses: If you suffered severe injuries during rear-end collisions, such as a broken bone, concussion, or brain damage, you might be eligible for payment for medical care and treatment.
- Lost wages:If you missed work during your recovery, you might be entitled to receive money for lost income.
- Pain and suffering:This might include emotional distress, anxiety, depression, and mental anguish.
- Property damage:If your property has been damaged in a rear-end accident, you may be entitled to reimbursement.
How Long You Have to File
In most accidents, you have a certain amount of time to file your personal injury claim. In the state of Massachusetts, the statute of limitations is only three years from the time of the accident. If you have questions or concerns about your legal rights after being involved in a rear-end crash, a collision injury attorney serving the Boston area may be able to help.
Typical Costs of Rear-End Collisions
Rear-end accidents can cause substantial costs for victims. These costs include expenses like:
- Emergency room visits and hospital stays:These are expenses incurred immediately after a collision. They cover costs related to treating any injuries sustained and costs associated with diagnostic tests and procedures.
- Primary care costs:After a collision, emergency rooms often require patients to undergo x-rays, CT scans, MRIs, and ultrasounds. These diagnostic tests help doctors determine whether an injured person needs surgery or other treatments. In addition, some doctors bill their patients for office visits and follow-up appointments.
- Physical therapy:Many people suffer pain and discomfort after a rear-end collision. To ease this pain, they must attend physical therapy sessions.
- Medications:Some patients take prescription medications to treat symptoms resulting from a car accident. Others rely on over-the-counter remedies to manage their pain.
- Transportation:If you were involved in a rear-end collision, you might have to spend money on taxis, rental cars, or public transportation.
How Much Will a Lawyer Cost in Boston?
Our team understands the financial strain you're under. That's why we work off a contingency-fee-basis. That way, you don't pay unless we win or settle your case. You can move forward without risk.
How do I File My Claim for Damages?
You should file a claim if you believe that the other driver's negligence contributed to your injury. After a rear-end collision, it's essential to file as soon as possible. The sooner you do, the more likely you are to recover compensation for your losses. Keep copies of documents related to your case.
If you have been seriously hurt in a rear-end collision and feel like you deserve compensation, don't wait to file. While you can file a claim on your own behalf, a rear end collision injury lawyer may be able to help alleviate the burden.
Consider Contacting a Boston Rear-End Car Accident Collision Injury Lawyers
If you have been involved in a rear-ending collision, consider hiring a Boston personal injury lawyer to help manage your case. At Dolman Law Group, we provide representation to clients throughout Boston and its surrounding area. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation.
Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA
76 Canal Street, Suite 302
Boston, MA 02114