After an accident, most of us tend to ignore the injuries we can’t see. Naturally, we tend to focus on superficial injuries to our limbs or head and assume everything is good if we don’t have evidence otherwise. Sadly, problems we can’t see can be dangerous.
If you or a loved one experiences chest pain after a car accident, you should seek help as soon as possible.
What Could Cause Chest Pain After a Car Accident?
In a high-impact car accident, the driver might be slammed on the steering wheel or dashboard. IIn any type of accident, passengers can be compressed by the safety belt, keeping them in their seats. If a passenger was unbelted, they may be thrown into the back of the seat in front of them or the dashboard.
Any traumatic impact can cause chest pain.
How Do You Know if a Chest Injury Is Serious?
Immediately after a car accident, victims should seek medical attention if they feel any discomfort. A checkup is recommended since testing can help doctors make a correct diagnosis and recommend treatment. Since chest injuries are internal, an Electrocardiogram (ECG), CT scan, or X-ray can help pinpoint injuries.
There are always signs that indicate trouble, even before testing for a chest injury. You might feel some discomfort in the chest when resting and some pain when applying pressure. Most people decide to ‘tough it out’ after the accident, thinking the symptoms will disappear. However, chest pain can be an indicator of a serious injury that needs immediate treatment.
Potential Diagnosis from Chest Pain After an Accident
Victims that make appointments after car accidents quickly learn why this is a good decision. A checkup can reveal the exact type of injury suffered, making treatment easier. Some common conditions from accidents include:
- Muscle Bruising: This can happen when upper body muscles strain as they stabilize the body from the accident’s impact. While the injury might not be life-threatening, the pain can be persistent and uncomfortable when not addressed.
- Fractured Ribs: Crashing into the dashboard or steering wheel can cause severe trauma to the chest, often leading to rib fractures. When ribs break, the pain is constant, and in worse-case scenarios, the fractured rib can even puncture an organ or major vessel. Broken or fractured ribs can also cause complications, such as pneumonia.
- Lung Damage: The sudden impact of an accident can cause blood buildup in the lungs. This injury causes shortness of breath, increased heart rate, and low blood pressure. Since the injury affects core body functions, it can be life-threatening.
- Myocardial Contusion: This is the bruising of the heart muscle, often caused by blunt trauma. The injury can cause an irregular heartbeat, lightheadedness, nausea, and even severe complications.
- Heart Attack: Sometimes, the physical trauma from the accident can cause a heart attack.
Why Should You Hire an Attorney After a Car Accident?
Chest pain after an accident often indicates more serious internal injuries. With the symptoms of chest pain proving to be considerable disruptions to someone’s life, there is a need to take immediate action. Once you have obtained medical care, you may want to discuss your case with an attorney to determine how you can hold another party liable for your chest pain and related injuries.
An attorney from our firm can help you file a claim for chest pain. We can start the legal proceedings to ensure you receive compensation for your damages. We can also build a solid case to prevent you from suffering further harm from another party’s negligent actions.
How Much Can You Get from a Car Accident Settlement?
If you or a loved one was injured in a car accident, you might wonder about the settlement. How much you can recover depends on the specifics of your accident, but we can fight for compensation for your:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Miscellaneous expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
Our Team Can Help You Recover Compensation for Car Accident Chest Pain
Your attorney will go through the circumstances of the accident to determine how to pursue the case. Contact Dolman Law Group for legal assistance to help get your life back on track. We offer free consultations.