Advances in modern medicine have allowed us to have access to millions of healing drugs. This has led to a multi-billion dollar pharmaceutical industry looking to aggressively market and sell their products to the public as fast as possible. Thankfully in the United States, all new drugs must be tested and approved by the Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) Center for Drug Evaluation and Research. If the drug passes, it means the benefits of the drug outnumber the risks in taking of the drug. However, as is the case with most things, there are often exceptions and unfortunately some of these exceptions, if overlooked, can cause serious harm to individuals using the product.
DEFECTIVE DRUGS TO BE AWARE OF IN TAMPA BAY
Millions of Americans have often been prescribed new medications before the serious side effects of these drugs are brought to the attention of the FDA, who will issue a product recall if the drugs are causing harm. This will often result in users who have suffered said side effects in filing product liability claims seeking compensation for the damages they suffered as a result of the drug. The following drugs have had multiple product liability claims filed against them:
- Vioxx: when Vioxx was first launched in 1999 by pharmaceutical giant Merck &Co., it was marketed as a groundbreaking type of NSAID that directly targeted and inhibited the OCX-2 enzyme. This supposedly made the drug an effective tool in relieving the acute of pain of menstrual cramps, arthritis, etc. It was discovered shortly after launching the drug that Vioxx greatly increased the risk of heart attacks, stroke, and death in users of the drug, however Merck continued manufacturing and selling the product until 2004.
- Zicam: a medication used to cure cold symptoms, three versions of Zicam products have been recalled: Zicam Cold Remedy Nasal Gel, Zicam Cold Remedy Swabs, and Zicam Cold Remedy Swabs — Kids size. It was discovered that users of these products were at a high risk of suffering from anosmia, or loss of smell. This not only leads to the diminishment of one’s enjoyment of day to day life, but can also endanger them in situations where smells are key warnings to inevitable danger.
- Lipitor: the most popular drug in the United States, Lipitor is used to regulate a person’s high cholesterol by lowers the user’s bad cholesterol. This drug, however, has a serious problem — it can lead to the development of type 2 diabetes. Type 2 diabetes can lead to further complications involving the following organs: kidneys, blood vessels and heart, nerves, eyes, skin, mouth, feet, bones, and brain.
- Januvia and Byetta: these two medications are prescribed to patients who have been diagnosed with diabetes to control their blood sugar levels. While these medications help with controlling blood sugar levels, it has been discovered that these products also have serious side effects that include a high risk if developing the following: pancreatitis, pancreatic cancer, and thyroid cancer.
- Plavix: this highly prescribed drug is used by patients who have a high risk of blood clots, heart attacks, and strokes. This product works just like Aspirin, however, it also has much more serious side effects that have caused many product liability claims to be filed against its manufacturer. Users suffer from such side effects as: gastrointestinal bleeding, cerebral bleeding, ulcers, Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpora, other forms of internal bleeding, and death.
CONTACT FLORIDA PHARMACEUTICAL INJURY ATTORNEYS DOLMAN LAW GROUP
Taking on pharmaceutical giants may seem very intimidating, however, at Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA we have the resources to do just that, and pride ourselves on winning these cases. If you believe you or a loved one have experienced harm from some of the dangerous side effects of the previously listed pharmaceutical drugs, please contact us today at 727-451-6900 for a free consultation.
Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA
800 North Belcher Road
Clearwater, FL 33765