November 30 – December 7
Products in our cabinets, garages, and pockets can be faulty in ways that we would have never imagined. Those faults can easily lead to irreparable damages and serious injuries. Because of that, companies who unknowingly release these defective products often make an effort to recall them as soon as they discover the potential risk of widespread damage. Here is a summary of some recent product recalls that we want our readers to be aware of.
Foods, Medicines & Cosmetics:
- Bestmed, LLC has issued a nationwide recall of the digital Temple Thermometer Model KD-2201 manufactured by K-Jump Health Co., Ltd. featuring lot numbers S/N: 3612 through S/N: 3715, which were sold between October 2012 until the start of the recall in November 2015. It’s important to note that Model KD-2201L is not subject to this recall action. The medical device distributor has found that some Digital Temple Thermometers (DTT) contain a manufacturing problem causing the affected thermometers to display temperatures that are inaccurate and lower than actual body temperatures, which potentially may cause the user or caregiver of the user to delay or forego seeking appropriate care (general over-the-counter-fever reduction medication) or receive more care than appropriate, when relying solely on the temperature display on the thermometer. The Digital Temple Thermometer was distributed throughout the US for direct sale and resale through consumer retail stores and through consumer retail stores in Canada under the following labels: Bestmed, Good Neighbor, Kroger, Medline, Meijer, Premier Value, Safeway, Life Brand, Target, Top Care, Best Choice (Value Merchandise) and Western Family. Consumers may return the device for a replacement thermometer. You may reach this company at (877) 299-6700, Monday through Friday 9am to 7:30pm EST.
- OmniPod (Pod) is being recalled by Insulet Corporation (Insulet or the Company) who initiated a lot-specific voluntary Field Safety Notification (Notification) for 15 lots of the product which were distributed in the US and three lots which were distributed internationally. This recall is due to a slight increase in the reported cases in which the Pod’s needle mechanism failed to deploy or there was a delay in the deployment of the needle mechanism. The report incidence rate of this product issue in the affected lots is approximately 1%-2% after the Company corrected the manufacturing process and implemented additional inspection steps. In the event a needle mechanism fails to deploy, the needle will not be inserted and insulin delivery will not begin. The interruption of insuling delivery may cause elevated blood glucose (hyperglycemia), which, if left untreated, can result in diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA). If a patient has activated a Pod and experiences unexpected elevated blood glucose levels, a healthcare professional should be consulted. There have been 66 incident reports, three of which needed medical intervention. Consumers who have more questions may reach this company at (855) 407-3729 at any time.
- Lipo Escultura Corp. of Brooklyn, NY dba JAT Productos Naturales Corp., and JAT Natural Products Corp. are voluntarily recalling all Lipo Escultura within expiry to the consumer level. The Lipo Escultura capsules were tested by the US Food and Drug Administration and have been found to contain two potentially harmful ingredients—sibutramine and diclofenac. Sibutramine is an appetite suppressant now a controlled substance that was removed from the market for safety reasons. It is known to substantially increase blood pressure and/or pulse rate in some patients and may present a significant risk for patients with a history of coronary artery disease, congestive heart failure, arrhythmias, or stroke. Diclofenac is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (commonly referred to as NSAIDs). NSAIDs may cause increased risk of cardiovascular events, such as heart attack and stokes, as well as serious gastrointestinal damage, including bleeding, ulcerations and fatal perforation of the stomach and intestines. While this product is used as a weight loss dietary supplement, the recall was initiated after a consumer illness was reported to the FDA and it was discovered that the product labeling does not reveal the presence of the two substances. You may reach this company at (718) 415-2611, Monday through Friday from 9am to 5 pm EST.
- Cost Plus World Market is recalling reading chairs due to fall hazard. The front leg on the reading chairs have evidently been sold without front leg support blocks that can bend or break, posing a fall hazard to the user. This recall involves high-back upholstered reading chairs sold in a black and white floral print. The chairs are 37-inches tall by 30-inches wide, and have four wooden legs with the front two on casters. SKU number 473747 is printed on a UPC sticker affixed to the underside of the chair. Cost Plus World Market has received eight reports of front chair legs bending or breaking including one report of an injury when a consumer fell out of the chair. Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled chairs and inspect the front legs for support blocks. Chairs without the support blocks can be returned to any Cost Plus World Market for a free exchange. You may reach this company at (877) 967-5362 from 7am to 12am EST.
- North Central Industries is recalling Fireworks Fountains due to a burn and injury hazard. The rear plug of the candle can dislodge while lit, posing burn and fire hazards to the user if the user is holding the device. This recall involves all Mammoth Great Grizzly brand California Candles. The recalled candles are hand-held fireworks fountains that make crackling noises and display flowering tulips, blue pearls and gold showers. Each candle is approximately 2 inches in diameter and 30 inches long. The candles were sold in packs of three. One candle is labeled with the name “Glow Beam,” one has the name “Dazzling Diamonds” and one has the name “Touch of Sparkle”. Each candle has the Great Grizzly logo on the label near the beginning of the candle name. North Central Industries has received six reports of a candle’s rear plug dislodging while the firework was lit, resulting in burn injuries to the person holding the device. Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled fireworks. You may reach this company at (800) 800-2264, Monday through Friday, from 8am to 5pm EST.
- Harbor Freight Tools is recalling their cordless drills due to a fire and burn hazard. The Brill Master 18-Volt Cordless Drill is being recalled because an internal switching mechanism can become stuck in the “on” position and overheat, posing a fire and burn hazard. The drill item number 68239 and drill item number 68287 are black with a red switch and were sold with an 18 volt rechargeable battery pack. Harbor Freight Tools has received 25 reports of the drill switch overheating, including six reports of burns to the hands and fingers, and five reports of property damage. Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled drills and return the unit to the nearest Harbor Freight Tools store to receive a replacement drill. You may reach this company at (800) 444-3353, Monday through Friday from 8am to 4:30pm PST.
- Champion Bus, Inc. (Champion) is recalling certain model year 2006-2015 Challenger, Defender, Crusader, American, American Coach, American Crusader, Corporal, CTS-FE, CTS-RE, HC American, Platinum Shuttle, and Stacked Rail transit buses manufactured January 1, 2006, to August 25, 2015, equipped with certain model S2005, S2012, S5005, S5010, S5505, and S5510 wheelchair lifts. The affected lifts are equipped with folding link arms that may have pivot holes that are too big, allowing bearing to move out of position. If the bearing move out of position, the stowed platform may have excessive movement resulting in failure of the platform mounting. This failure could cause the wheel chair lift platform to fall out of the vehicle when the doors are opened, increasing the risk of injury for the lift operator. Any damaged parts will be replaced, free of charge by the company. This recall is expected to begin December 7, 2015. You may reach this company at (810) 724-1753.
- Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain model year 2010-2011 Ford Fusion vehicles manufactured July 21, 2008, to March 4, 2011 and 2010-2011 Mercury Milan vehicles manufactured July 23, 2008, to December 10, 2010. The affected vehicles have fuel vapor canisters whose purge valves may not operate properly resulting in abnormal pressure changes in the fuel tank. The pressure changes may cause the tank to crack and leak fuel. A fuel leak in the presence of an ignition course increases the risk of a fire. The fuel tank will be inspected and replaced as necessary, free of charge. This recall is expected to begin January 11, 2016. You may contact this company at (866) 436-7332.
- Chrysler (FCA US LLC) is recalling certain model year 2013-2014 Dodge Dart vehicles manufactured February 27, 2012 to January 23, 2014 and equipped with either a 2.0L or 2.4L engine. In affected vehicles, engine oil from the vacuum pump may seep into the brake booster, damaging a component within the brake booster. Internal damage to the brake booster could result in a loss of brake assist, lengthening the distance needed to stop the vehicle and increasing the risk of a crash. The company will inspect the brake booster grommet for the presence of oil. If no oil is found, the vacuum tube assembly will be replaced. If oil is found, the vacuum pump, vacuum tube assembly, brake booster and master cylinder will be replaced. The manufacturer has not provided a schedule yet for the initial recall as the parts are not available yet. You may contact this company at (800) 853-1403.
SPEAK WITH AN EXPERIENCED PRODUCT LIABILITY ATTORNEY IN THE CLEARWATER & TAMPA BAY AREA FOR FREE
If you or a loved one has been injured due to a product with a defect or a faulty design and you’re in need of a helping hand, contact the experienced product liability attorneys of Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA today. We offer a free consultation and case evaluation to anyone and can help you recover the financial compensation you deserve after being injured by a product’s faulty nature. To get in touch, give us a call at (727) 451-6900.
Dolman Law Group Accident Injury Lawyers, PA
800 North Belcher Road
Clearwater, FL 33765