Jacksonville Car Accident StatisticsAccording to the data provided by Florida Highway Safety & Motor Vehicles department in 2021, the Jacksonville area had:
- 24,436 motor vehicle crashes
- 14,184 crash-related injuries
- 268 bicycle crashes
- 447 motorcycle crashes
- 492 pedestrian crashes
- 7,846 hit and run crashes
- 420 crashes that involved impairment from drugs or alcohol
- 143 deaths in 2018
- 158 deaths in 2019
- 187 deaths in 2020
- 193 deaths in 2021
- Blanding Boulevard and Youngerman Circle: 116 crashes
- Blanding Boulevard and Argyle Forest Boulevard: 90 crashes
- Blanding Boulevard and Collins Road: 72 crashes
- Atlantic Boulevard and Southside Boulevard: 69 crashes
- 103rd Street and Ricker Road: 66 crashes
- 103rd Street and Blanding Boulevard: 59 crashes
- Beach Boulevard and Hodges Boulevard: 56 crashes
- Beach Boulevard and Southside Boulevard: 55 crashes
- Baymeadows Road and Southside Boulevard: 54 crashes
- Claire Lane and San Jose Boulevard: 51 crashes
Jacksonville Auto Accident StatisticsSource: https://www.flhsmv.gov/
Pursuing Compensation After A Jacksonville Car AccidentIn the aftermath of being in a car accident, getting compensation for medical bills and car repairs is a major priority. Many victims suffer serious injuries like broken bones, whiplash, or spinal cord damage. They may require surgeries, extended hospitalizations, and even long-term physical therapy. The expenses can add up fast, especially if the victim has to stop working during their recovery. Under Florida's no-fault system for accidents, each driver involved in a collision must file for compensation from their insurer, and the question of fault is irrelevant. However, some car accident victims will have damages beyond the payout limits of their no-fault insurance policy. In these cases, Florida law allows you to pursue the at-fault driver to make up the difference.
Getting Compensation From Your InsurerAfter an accident, all Florida drivers must begin the claim process to get compensation from their own insurer, called filing a first-party claim. Insurance companies are well-known for trying to keep their costs as low as possible, making them likely to downplay the policyholder's damages. Some important guidelines for getting a fair settlement offer include:
- Notify your insurer of the accident immediately: Failure to promptly report that you've been in a car crash can jeopardize your claim.
- Provide detailed information about the accident and its aftermath: An experienced Jacksonville car attorney can help you document the circumstances of the crash and all your resulting damages, including medical bills, lost wages, and property damage to your vehicle.
- Familiarize yourself with the details of your policy: Have your attorney review your insurance plan's fine print to ensure you can maximize the value of your claim and recover all the funds you deserve.
- Negotiate, if necessary: Many first-party claims will initially receive a lowball offer that doesn't adequately cover the policyholder's expenses from the accident. Your attorney can help you provide evidence to substantiate your damages and prepare a fair counteroffer.
Getting Compensation From the at-Fault DriverWhen a car crash causes severe injuries, the funds available through the motorist's own insurance plan may not be enough to cover all the damages. If the at-fault driver has purchased liability insurance, car accident victims can file a third-party claim to recover more compensation under the terms of that policy. However, Florida state law doesn't require this type of insurance, and many drivers don't purchase it. Another option to recover more compensation is filing a personal injury lawsuit with the help of a skilled Jacksonville car accident lawyer. Florida's civil courts use several different factors to determine a fair judgment award, including the severity of your injuries, the cost of receiving medical care, and any income you lost because of the accident.
How a Jacksonville Car Accident Attorney Can HelpBeing in a serious car accident is a terrifying experience that also comes with many physical, emotional, and financial costs. Your life can easily get turned upside down, especially if you're unsure how to cover your expenses. Getting fair compensation for your damages after a Jacksonville car accident may be a long and complicated process, but you don't have to attempt it yourself. Contact a skilled car accident lawyer who can help you navigate the filings, gather evidence to prove fault, and negotiate with insurers to maximize the value of your claim.